Completed in 1811, this Federal period double house and its carved mantels are attributed to Samuel Field McIntire, the son of Salem’s most noted architect and carver, Samuel McIntire. Initially a private home, it was later acquired by local philanthropist Captain John Bertram and his daughter, Jennie Bertram Emmerton. They donated half of the building to the Woman’s Friend Society, which soon purchased the other half and later built a substantial addition in the rear. On Sept. 17, 2008, the Emmerton House was accepted for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.
When Emmerton House first opened its doors in 1879, the idea of providing a home for women and girls studying and/or working in the Salem area was considered revolutionary. Today, Emmerton House provides affordable housing and a safe environment for 20 women of all ages and backgrounds who are working or students in the Salem area.
The rest, as they say, is history. Over the course of the last 130 years, hundreds of women have called Emmerton House their home. Here women of all ages can find support and camaraderie in an historic Salem residence. To apply for residency, please contact Karen LaMarine, Director, at email@example.com.
No Stress Zone by James K. Glynn. Photo by Simeen Brown.